• Please excuse our mess as we develop our new site. We hope you enjoy it.

• Winter Break - School will be closed from Dec. 23 - Jan. 7

Mr. Barracuda

Mr. Barracuda 2018 contestants before the show.

Jonathan Scotto, Staff Writer

The most coveted title any male can hold at The Reef — Mr. Barracuda. From salsa dancing to grape catching, each year, ten to twenty of Coral Reef’s most talented bachelors go head to head in order to inherit the throne. Contestants must audition early on in the year, and if selected, must commit to months of preparation: frequent rehearsals, filming an intense video, and multiple performances in front of the entire student body.

This year, sixteen students sought the title. Ranging in grade levels and academies, each of the contestants offered something unique to the show. Interestingly enough, the contestants went from strangers to brothers within a matter of weeks. By taking such different, unique individuals and making them into a cohesive group, “something magical happens,” according to Christopher Barrocas (Mr. Nice Guy), a senior in the Medical Academy.

On November 20th, the contestants’ work all came together in two shows. The morning show, which invited the top five donating classes to the United Way to determine the Top Ten, and the full night show, which included the annual video by the Coral Reef CAC, Swimsuit Showcase, and other events. Once the Top Ten were chosen by the United Way classes, the results were not revealed until the night show. Leading up to the announcement, the contestants were pushed to the test with their Group Performance of Throwback Jams, quick changes, and more.

More so, the talents themselves were so different. At a glance, the singers and dancers are initial standouts. However, the musicians and “goofers,” as the boys like to call them, showed some serious competition. Damian Badia (Mr. 305), a junior in the Medical Academy, solidified his spot in the Top 10 after recounting his Pitbull-styled Friday night-out. When asked what motivated him to participate, Damian sought out to “represent [his] culture in the most comedic way.”

Raphael Vulcain (Mr. Beat It Up), a senior in the Business and Finance Academy, excited the audience with his rhythmic drum solo; as a Top Five Finalist, Ralph felt that “the audience truly was into all of the performances; it was really interesting seeing everyone come together. Being in the Top Five made everything worthwhile.” In all, it seemed that all of the contestants had one common consensus: that Mr. Barracuda allowed for all of the guys to come together and truly enjoy themselves.

After everything was said and done, Kevin Rivera (Mr. 24/Kevin), a senior in the Engineering Academy came out victorious. By singing an original song, rocking the spirit outfit, and knocking out the question portion, Kevin moved the audience with his charismatic personality, powerful lyrics, and smooth voice. Kevin felt “completely blessed” and “lost in the moment” once he was crowned the winner. Being Mr. Barracuda has allowed Kevin to not only showcase his talent, but continue his journey as a song-writing artist.

Overall, many felt that this year’s Mr. Barracuda show was a huge success.  The contestants would like to thank Cudettes Kimika Popowski and Macie Riveron for choreographing the dances, Coral Reef CAC for producing “The Barracudette,” and the administration for their continuous support of student involvement at The Reef.