SenioRIGHTis. Ask yourself if it is right for you.

Amber Robinson, Staff Writer

Jumbled letters, a barrage of errands, and misplaced deliveries. This is not a postal office—yes, they still exist—but rather the mind of almost every senior across the country, including those here at Coral Reef Senior.

EA, ED, SSAR, FAFSA, FFAA, and CSS are all acronyms that the seniors here have had to confront. How do they handle all of these letters, applications, rejections, acceptances, decisions? The answer is a little thing called ‘Senior Superpowers.’ I would let you in but that is a part of ‘Senior Privilege.’ However, I suppose that I may let you in on some tips from a senior’s experience.

Before anything else, be sure to turn in community service hours before senior year starts. Although, the seventy-five hours are not required to be partially fulfilled in the four years of high school, it should still be essential to complete them before senior year. Not only is community service mandated for Miami-Dade County Public Schools, but it builds your character. Community service allows you to give back time and energy to the environment that has shaped you. Also, some counselors may not provide recommendations given that district hours have not been submitted.

In addition, keep up with deadlines and test dates. Time flies, and so do deadlines if they are not carefully monitored. Early Action and Early Decision deadlines may require documentation as soon as August. In regards to test dates, the SAT and ACT are your best friends. It is best to start your Junior year to gauge which one is the best option for you as well as get testing out of the way, so you can focus on gathering the documentation for Florida residency or your college essays.

All in all, your mindset will determine your productivity. Don’t catch the dreaded ‘Senioritis” but instead catch the “SenioRIGHTis.” Finish your work, write your essays, submit your applications ahead of time to avoid the stress of balancing both senior activities and coursework. IB senior and Varsity basketball player, Nichelle Hunte, comments, “Be the thermostat, not the thermometer. In other words, set the temperature; don’t just adjust to it. Therefore, set your mood. Don’t let the mood set you and live at your best even though outside forces are hitting you at different angles.” Ultimately, an optimistic attitude and dedication are essential to the productivity of your Senior year.