Our Journey to a Better Future

Nicholas Mesa, Staff

A colony on Mars; a revolution in renewable energy; human brains paired with artificial intelligence.

These ideas are simply a mere glimpse into a future that holds more innovative promise than any other point in human history.

As of the past decade, most innovation has been restricted to new applications and media in the palm of our hand.  Yet, these ideas, however small they may seem, are a part of the much bigger trend in the increasing frequency of breakthroughs in human technological advancement.  It is now very likely that we are on the brink of a major upheaval in technology and human capability, and we might just see it by the end of the next decade.

Let’s take a look at some areas where the future will be shining its brightest light.

Resuming Space Exploration

One of the more exciting and well-known projects of the future involves the return of space exploration onto the world stage.  Elon Musk is one of the entrepreneurs leading the way with his company SpaceX, a private enterprise which has become known for its signature reusable rocket, the Falcon 9.  Musk’s main objective is to cut the cost of spaceflight while maximizing the potential opportunity.  

SpaceX’s rapid rise to fame in the space industry was cemented in 2014, when NASA announced its partnership with SpaceX that, among other things, would allow the company to transport U.S. crews to and from the space station, with a goal of ending the nation’s reliance on Russia.

This agreement was just one small step forward in Musk’s main objective: establishing human-kind as a multi-planetary species.  Yes, you read right, a multi-planetary species!

Presently, Musk’s dream is closer than ever with the imminent inaugural launch of the Falcon Heavy.   The Heavy will be the world’s most powerful rocket by a factor of 2 when it begins operation.  The rocket carries twenty-seven Merlin rocket engines, generating more than five million pounds of thrust, equal to about eighteen 747 aircraft.  In addition, according to the company’s website,  “The Falcon Heavy can lift more than twice the payload of the next closest operational vehicle, the Delta IV Heavy, at one-third the cost.”

A successful launch will mean that Musk’s goals of sending a rocket to Mars and colonizing the Red Planet within the next decade are well within reach.

Excitement over the inaugural launch is rampant across the world, with even some students keeping their eye on launch day as well.

For example, Jonah Margolesky, a junior at Coral Reef, mentioned, “The successful launching of the SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket is an exemplary show of progress in the area of deep space exploration, at higher speeds thanks to far more powerful engines, and to greater lengths. Time, of course, is the biggest factor in human space exploration.  It is good news that we now have a rocket that can carry a shuttle at incredible speeds and strength, given that we only live for a hundred years at most, while we need thousands of years to reach other stars and solar systems in the bands of the universe.”

Johnny Agudelo, another Coral Reef student, explained that, “A successful launch would mean the opening of a brand new frontier.”  He also reasoned that, “In relation to climate change, among other things, the Earth might not be safe to inhabit by the end of our lifetimes.  As a result, the colonization of other planets and the ‘branching out’ of mankind would provide a ‘safety net’ to ensure the continuity of the human race.”

Regardless of the outcome, launch day of the first Falcon Heavy will forever be etched in history as we take yet another major step in Our Journey to a Better Future.