WHOSE REEF IS IT, ANYWAY?

Williams

Williams

Sofia de la Grana, Staff Writer

Unscripted, unplanned, and created spontaneously by the performers, improvisation can be one of the most challenging forms of theatre to perform onstage. On January 24th, Coral Reef High School’s Drama Department twisted the annual improv show into a head-to-head comedy battle called Whose Reef Is It Anyway? Each grade had their own team of six members, who auditioned and were chosen to represent “the best improvisers of their grade,” joked Ryan Antoine, member of the junior team, “Double L’s.”

The battle pitted the teams against each other in predetermined games and ideas suggested by the audience. Some games challenged the actors to construct a scene by reading a randomly chosen audience member’s text messages. Games like “Sentences” and “Scenes from a Hat” also used phrases or scenes written by the crowd that had to be brought from paper to life onstage within seconds. Host of the show and Coral Reef drama teacher, Aralis Arca adds, “Incorporating the audience as part of the show makes them feel part of the battle and doubles the challenge for the improvisers.”

After five rounds of cutthroat and hilarious games, the audience ultimately crowed the Seniors or their team, “Senioritis,” the winner’s of Reef’s inaugural improv battle. Although it was only the senior team that left home with the title, what many people took out of the show an important lesson in improv that can be a principle in everyday life. Audience member Ralph Wakefield, a director of his own theatre The Pelican Playhouse explains, “With no script, no instructions, or preconceived ideas, improv places people in control of situations they’re not used to encountering and encourages them to say yes.” Despite the end to Whose Reef Is It Anyway? , improv extends into your everyday life and interactions.