One dead, multiple injured in shooting at Colorado school

Sofia Ventura

• A teacher comforts a child after a School shooting at the STEM School May 7, 2019, in Highlands Ranch, Colorado. She has 2 children that attend the school. (Photo by Joe Amon/The Denver Post)

DP

• A child is held while waiting to get on their evacuation bus after a School shooting at the STEM School May 7, 2019, in Highlands Ranch, Colorado. (Photo by Joe Amon/The Denver Post)

DP

• Students escorted into school bus in front of STEM School Highlands Ranch after a shooting. May 7, 2019. (Photo by Hyoung Chang/The Denver Post)

DP

An eighteen-year-old student has been killed, at least seven people are injured, and two suspects are in custody following a shooting at STEM School Highlands Ranch. At least four of the victims are in serious condition, officials said.

Douglas County Sheriff Tony Spurlock said the suspects – a juvenile and an adult, both male – were believed to be students at the school. Spurlock said the suspects walked into the building, “got deep inside the school” and shot at students at two separate locations. Deputies arrived about two minutes after the shooting was reported, and engaged the suspects.

Authorities have obtained a search warrant for a vehicle belonging to one of the suspects, and are in the process of investigating both. Neither suspect was previously on a law enforcement watchlist prior to the shooting, according to Spurlock, who praised law enforcement’s prompt arrival at the scene. “I believe the quick response of officers helped save lives,” Spurlock said. “A quick response eliminates a lot of this issue right off the bat.”

And apparently, this is all real. And I tried to run with my life, but I’m out of breath.”

— Christian Paulson, a student at the STEM School

Douglas County Undersheriff Holly Nicholson-Kluth reported that officers heard shots as they were entering STEM School Highlands Ranch in response to a call just before 2 pm. The sheriff’s office initially called the incident an “active and unstable” scene. Nicholson-Kluth said the scene was still active about 3:30 p.m. and that authorities were still working to evacuate children from the school.The school is located about eight miles from Columbine High School, and has over 1800 students.

Colorado Gov. Jared Polis issued a statement saying his office is “monitoring the situation in real time,” and several public officials have expressed their concern and sympathy for all involved.White House spokesman Judd Deere released the following statement on the shooting: “Our prayers are with the victims, family members, and all those affected by today’s shooting at STEM School Highlands Ranch in Littleton, Colorado. Tragically, this community and those surrounding it know all too well these hateful and horrible acts of violence. The White House has been in communication with state and local officials, and the President has been briefed and continues to monitor the ongoing situation. We offer our full support to local law enforcement and first responders and thank them for their heroism.”

Christian Paulson, a student at the school, told Denver7 News he was in study hall when a group of students ran past him, shouting “school shooter, school shooter!”

“And I’m like, what? Is this real or fake? And then I just went after them,” Paulson said. “And apparently, this is all real. And I tried to run with my life, but I’m out of breath.”

Students are evacuated from STEM School Highlands Ranch (Photo courtesy of Shreya Nallapati via Twitter)

This story will be updated, and details may change as more information becomes available. View a local live feed here .