Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA Club)

FCA is a club that brings together good faith and good sportsmanship.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Julian Larios, Staff Writer

It’s rare to find a place where two walks of life come together so easily that it seems like a match made in heaven. However, here in our Cuda Nation, we have a club that brings together good faith and good sportsmanship: The Fellowship of Christian Athletes. In the FCA, I found a beautiful community of people who, through their experiences as Christians, students, and athletes, come together to meditate on life’s ups and downs.

Recently, I went to one of the FCA meetings to see this bustling community at play. As the meeting started, everyone introduced themselves and spoke about the sport they played and – in my case – the sports we liked. Afterwards, we were placed into small groups and we read a devotional which, in this meeting, spoke about doubting the actions of God and our feelings when things don’t go as we hoped they would. The conversations that followed blew my mind.

I never believed that any group of high schoolers could be so honest, so open with each other, as to speak about their lives. Though I had never met some of those I sat with, I felt like they knew me and I knew them, through their faith and their trust in God. After another devotional about balancing sports life with Christian life, we prayed and the meeting finished. After confiding in God and others, we were given very stylish “W.W.J.D.” bracelets. I felt closer to these people than I thought possible.

However, I do understand that someone could read this and believe that the FCA is a support group with sports and Jesus in it. But, as student leader Sophia Perez told me, this club is made for anyone, no matter their readiness to interact in groups. The student leaders often organize to have group activities as well as inviting speakers and occasionally having food for all the members. Yet, I still believe that, even if not all the meetings involve deep conversations with strangers, one grows closer to their peers through the FCA. It’s the connection, the passions that the student athletes share that truly make the club great for all.

This club, led by the President Natalie Loria, is not only a great way for people to come together, but is also a powerful way to spread the message of helpfulness and friendship through both the word of Christ and the foundations of sportsmanship. This community, led by many student athletes, goes against the grain that most of us expect out of high school “jocks.” In reality, many will see the same that I saw: a welcoming group of students who follow ideas of kindness through their religion and through their passions.