More than a Student

Back to Article
Back to Article

More than a Student

Julian Larios, Staff Writer

Take a moment and stop thinking about your grades. Take a breather. Take some time, think about what you want; what you really want. Are you sure what you want is an A on that test, or some extra community service hours?

For most students, including me, a part of us wishes we could go out, explore the world, perform a concert, open a shop at Wynwood, anything but the monotony of high school life. But our hopes are usually pushed down by our school, by our priorities, by the very fact that, to most of the world, we are no more than students. But, as I’ve found out, anyone can be more than just a student.

I talked to many types of people: a rapper, a photographer, and an artist. I talked to students whose responsibilities have not stopped them from reaching their dreams. I talked to Johnny Agudelo, also known as $cholar. Aside from having a better grade in AP Chem than I do, he makes some inarguably fire music, over beats made by his friends. As his name shows, Johnny manages to balance his passion with his duties, and giving himself and others great music. Find him on Soundcloud at: https://soundcloud.com/johnny-agudelo-2 

.

I talked to Lauren Rivero, a photographer, master of AP Calculus, and overall icon. You can see her work on Instagram @theamateurprofessionaal. Her art shows a view that isn’t very easy to express, a view that we can all relate to: the views of a student.

I talked to Jaime Dias, a person who embodies the idea of creativity, a person who draws what he feels and feels what he wants. Jaime is more than an artist; like all these students, he is someone who finds art as a way to define himself and his view, he shows us a window into the world of someone who wants to be more. Find him on Instagram @jxaimeart.

In all honesty, I envy these students. Not because they are better than me, not because they’re more creative or smart, but because they took the leap that we all want to take.

As I talked to these students, I found one common thing among their views. They all found more happiness from their art than from their classes, they felt better about themselves as people rather than just students. They would all prefer a better photo, a better song, a better painting rather than a better grade. And truly, I don’t think there’s anything revolutionary about that feeling. Take another moment. Take another look inside and think: do I want to be a student, or do I want to be myself? These Cudas found something we all wish to find: a balance.

However, these students told me that their balance is not always beneficial. They told me that school is often a barrier for their passion. School creates stress, takes their time, takes their creative passion and turns it into work to be thrown in with the masses and given a grade. For Jaime, school stresses him to the point of an art block. For Lauren, school takes away her creative thoughts and clouds her head. Yet, these students turn their responsibilities into their inspiration. A conflicted artist makes for truthful art, and a student artist makes for an angle that is unrepresented in our world.

We can all be like this. We can all take that leap, look real deep, and our passions keep. Looks like I might even be a poet. I know every student has what it takes to stand out and be more than just a student. All it takes is just a moment, to take a breather, put down the pencil, and follow your passions.