Save a Life, Donate Blood

AMANDA IBARRA, Staff Writer

The Health Science Academy here at Coral Reef offers many opportunities for students to get real world medical field experience. Some of the leadership positions in the Medical Academy include HOSA Board and Blood Drive Committee. The Blood Drive Committee consists of a group of passionate and hardworking students who have a desire to help their community by promoting the donation of blood.

This committee partners up with One Blood, which is a non-profit community program that provides safe, available and affordable blood to their hospital partners, they come to Coral Reef on specific days to collect the blood from the donors. These group of students gain a lot through this experience such as communication skills and how to handle a difficult situation. As they are faced with different types of patients, these students learn how to interact with each one under different circumstances. They have developed a new perspective on how to put others needs before their own in critical situations. This has also been a learning experience as in understanding the levels of necessary criteria to be able to donate.

Needles and blood tend to make most people feel queasy just thinking about it. This is where Blood Drive Committee plays a very vital part when it comes to recruiting individuals to donate. Two weeks in advance, the committee heads out and start promoting the blood drive. Through their sign-up table during lunch, encouraging words in classroom announcements, posters, and posts on social media all contribute to the recruitment of donors. The day of the actual blood drive, the committee oversees the sign in and keep the students organized as they come in. They are to be attentive of the donors, just in case any of them suddenly feel ill or dizzy, which is why they also give out snacks and pizza to help the donor feel better. Blood donors get rewarded for their unselfish act by getting One Blood shirts, which they have in short sleeve and long sleeve, depending on the season it may vary. Donors are also to receive two hours after they donate and throughout the time they are donating blood, they are offered several snacks such as pizza, subs, and donuts. Most important of all, these donors are saving lives with the blood they donate. They are donating to save 3 lives and cancer patients.

The Blood Drive committee and the blood donors are very valuable people who are dedicating their time to help those who need it the most. The upcoming blood drive will be in April, the date is still to be determined.