Balancing School and Sports

Back to Article
Back to Article

Balancing School and Sports

Sabrina Guilen, Staff Writer

With spring sports under way, a lot of students are going to have to adjust their schedules to be able to do well in school and in sports. As an athlete, I understand the struggle it takes to try to be the best in your sport while trying to be the best student as well.  It took me a while to get both parts of my life under control, but once you do, it is very relieving. I’ve learned that the only way to be a successful student athlete is time management.

Last year was my first year playing a school sport.  Lacrosse involves a lot of sprinting so preparing for games was definitely strenuous for me.  In the beginning, I became very nervous that I wouldn’t be able to finish everything, especially because I was tired from practice, but I did my homework right when I got home so I was still able to finish at a reasonable time.  The main methods are to be organized and to prioritize your time, and don’t take advantage because playing a sport requires your time, because that doesn’t mean that school has to or should be put to the side.

Ironically, I have found that I have done my best in school during lacrosse season.  Having less time to do my homework has made me stop procrastinating when I get home, and I’ve learned to become more organized with my schoolwork.  On a usual practice day, I finish at 5 P.M., and get home around 6 P.M. In order to have enough sleep, I get started right away so I have enough time.  For any students joining sports or currently in a sport, my one suggestion is not to procrastinate. I’ve learned that one of the main reasons students procrastinate, besides being lazy, is because of fear of the outcome.  For example, we procrastinate on studying because we are afraid of how much there is to do in such a short period of time. If we all started our homework or our studying without procrastinating, it will help all students, not only student athletes, become more efficient and successful.